Master of Commerce [M.Com]
Master of Commerce (M.com) at SCC strives to offer high quality professional education and training to create highly competent academicians, enthusiastic researchers, keen administrators and smart business professionals to suit the contemporary needs of a dynamic society. Master of commerce is a two year (four semesters) post-graduation programme with great emphasis on teaching and research. The programme offers great choice and flexibility for the students, allowing them to develop the knowledge and skills to advance their career in a wide range of specialisations related to Accounting, Finance, Banking and Taxation. The third and fourth semesters offer electives in “Accounting & Taxation” and “Banking & Finance”. The programme has unique features like critical analysis of research articles, research paper presentations, NGO internships, corporate internships and teaching practice in the undergraduate classes under the supervision of the experienced faculty members. The programme further equips the students through its add on programmes, journal club, current affairs forum , young quizzers’ club, industrial visits and workshops conducted.
M.com programme at SCC aims to identify and develop the managerial, analytical, teaching and research skills of the students with a blend of academia and institutional expertise. The Department aims to enhance the right potential of the students in the various fields of their interest and create an environment for them to equip themselves to meet the challenges of job market. The specific programme objectives are as follows:
- To inculcate research culture among the students through critical analysis of the research articles and research paper presentations.
- To provide the students with a practical exposure to the field of Banking, Finance, Accounting and Taxation through a strong industry-academia interface.
- To build up right skills and attitude in the students to emerge as qualified and competent teaching professionals in the field of Commerce education.
- To equip the students to have a competitive edge to advance their career in a wide range of specialisations.
Scope of the Programme
Master of Commerce (M.Com) is a postgraduate course focusing on commerce, accounting, banking, economics, research and allied subjects. On completion of the course, the students get employed in fields such as banking & financial services, marketing, accounting, general management and business consulting. Alternately, they can pursue a career in the field of Commerce education in universities and colleges. An M.Com degree also qualifies the students to enter the field of commerce-related research areas by pursuing M.Phil. and/or Ph.D. in Commerce. SCC, with its decade of excellence in imparting Commerce education, provides the perfect ambience for pursuing dreams of making it big in the field of Commerce.
Candidate who have passed the B.com/BBM/BBS and BBA degree examination of Bangalore University or any other University recognized as equivalent thereto and has secured not less than 50% (45% for SC/ST/Cat- I/Blind candidates) marks in aggregate in all the Commerce subjects of Business Education for all the years of graduation are eligible for the programme.
Credit based system
The programme follows Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) with a total of 100 credits. The first two semesters will have 26 credits each and the last two semesters will have 24 credits each. One choice based subject of 4 credits shall be offered in the Third semester of the programme within the faculty or across the faculty. A candidate shall be declared to have passed the PG program if he/she secures at least a CGPA of 4.0 (Course Alpha-Sign Grade C) in the aggregate of both internal assessment and semester end examination marks put together in each unit such as Theory Papers / Practical’s / Project Work / Dissertation / Viva-Voce.
Add on Programmes
- Diploma in Advanced MS Excel
- Diploma in Business Analytics
- Intensive coaching for UGC-NET and SLET
- Coaching for Bank PO/ Clerical Exams
- Training for Competitive Examination
A student has to complete a minimum of one add on program per semester mandatorily as part of the course curriculum; however the credit awarded for the same will not be considered for GPA calculations.
Unique practices of the Department
Master of Commerce at SCC has its own uniqueness with a wide variety of skill development activities designed with the aim to enhance the intellectual, managerial, personal, interpersonal and societal skills of the students adhering to the institutional mission of imparting holistic education.
- Guest lectures and workshops on the current and innovative topics
- Every year Research Methodology and SPSS Workshops
- Daily Current Affairs analysis and Weekly Round up.
- Weekly Quiz programmes
- Every year Student Conferences
- Regular industrial visits
- Participation in the state, national and international level workshops, seminars and conferences (one in a semester mandatory).
- Research paper presentations in the National and international level conferences (one in a semester mandatory).
- Teaching practice – Demonstration & Criticism classes
- NGO internships and micro project presentation
- Corporate internships and micro project presentation
- Panel Discussion on the contemporary issues in the economy faculty, Research scholars and students.
- Organisation of national level conferences, Seminars and Workshops for commerce.
- Study circles for preparing M.com students for competitive examinations.
- Activities by Journal Club, Current Affairs Forum and Young Quizzers’ Club.